How the Stock Market Really Works
By Leo Gough
Leo Gough advises aspiring investors through the ins and outs of the stock market in this view written from the perspective of a successful financial investor. The book is well organized and filled with a cornucopia of useful information for those new to the stock market and looking to get their feet wet, as well as investors looking to become more successful.
The author Leo Gough is one of the premiere voices in the field, working in the financial writing industry for over 25 years; he has worked with banks as well as consultancy firms and brings his years of financial wisdom in this volume.
The book is split into 14 chapters with sub sections for easy reading, taking the reader through all aspects of the stock market’s inner workings.
- Chapter 1 divulges information on the guerrilla investor, giving the reader a look at what they can expect as a newcomer in the stock market.
- Chapters 2-3 cover shares and bonds, illuminating subjects such as why shares exist, their current place in the financial world, collected investments, the market for bonds, how bonds are rated, as well as helpful information for understanding the complex yields of bonds.
- Chapter 4 takes the guerrilla investor up to speed on assessing companies, shedding wisdom on their assets and risks, investment opportunities and a useful background on how companies often get themselves into trouble in the financial market.
- Chapter 5 dives into market theories and and strategies, giving the reader some general background on practices used in the market place, and tips for investing efficiently. It contains useful resources on subjects such as volatility, understanding market timing, as well as making use of market analysis.
- Chapter 6 pertains to trading in foreign markets and contains valuable information for aspiring traders. Leo takes the reader through things to expect when trading in foreign markets such as currency exchanges, standard market practices and provides useful anecdotes for models on trading in the foreign marketplace.
- Chapter 7 contains valuable information on derivatives, market and investing options and hedge funds, empowering the newcomer to diversify their bonds the smart way.
- Chapters 9-12 cover important topics for the future of one’s trading career as well as other unorthodox commodities one may deal in. Topics include overseas investment, other uncommon areas of investment which will peak the interest of those looking to start managing their capital more efficiently, offshore investments, and UK taxation.
- Chapter 13 is a much needed asset in the current financial climate, the chapter deals with volatility in the marketplace, maintaining economic growth in times of instability, and strategies for long-term investment survival.
- Chapter 14 expresses options for making trading an essential part of your life, the multiple stages of trading you may go through throughout the various stages of your life; the author imparts the reader with information essential to creating and maintain a life-long investment plan.
Reviewers have enjoyed the simple and concise nature of the book, while all have found it to be an invaluable resource.
If you’re looking to start investing, find out how the game works by keeping this book in stock.
Reviewed by: William Oscar Updyke