Investment Strategies of Hedge Funds
By: Fillipo Stefanini
In his definitive expose, Investment Strategies of Hedge Funds, Fillip Stefanini gives the reader the all-encompassing look at the hedge fund market; the author works to not only give information explaining how hedge funds work, but also gives the reader tangible tips for excelling in the hedge fund market in real-life situations.
Being one of the fastest growing sectors in the financial market, hedge funds can look to be a conundrum for those new to professional capital management; In this volume, the author masterfully demystifies the process, inviting the reader in on theories and lessons to make the process more intuitive.
The book is split into comprehensive chunks, making the materiel more accessible to readers; regardless of their familiarity with the subject matter.
- The first section of the book is titled A Few Initial Remarks, and it contains a number of short chapters intended to bring the reader up-to-speed on the hedge fund market. Topics included in this section include history of hedge funds, growth and characteristics of the current industry, basic hedge fund strategies, and a case study on a hedge fund start-up.
- Arbitrage is the primary focus of the second section of the book, leaving the reader with a detailed knowledge of the transaction costs barrier, ADR arbitrage, and arbitrage among treasury bonds
- The third section serves as a great primer on the nature of short selling, including its history, strategies, risks and pitfalls of short selling, as well as simplified examples so the reader may see the lessons in practice
- Long/Short Equity gives readers an insight into the differences among hedge fund strategies as well as useful information on when they can be applied successfully. It contains valuable information on many different markets including the bio-tech industry, natural resources, and other emerging markets.
- Sections 5-9 cover more in-depth arbitrage including Merger Arbitrage, Convertible Bond Arbitrage, Fixed Income Arbitrage, and Mortgage-Backed Securities Arbitrage.
- Section 10, Distressed Securities, will prove to be an indispensable wealth of information on securities, debt, and bankruptcy for all attentive readers.
- Sections 11-15 contain some of the most important information for the aspiring hedge fund investor, they cover vast strategies and possibilities for trading in the hedge fund market as a practice. The reader will leave these chapters graced with a complete knowledge of real market strategies, examples of the strategies working in the market, and a firm understanding of the risks associated with each.
- The final section of the book offers profound information on the statistical performance of hedge funds including analysis on different strategies neatly packed into indices for reader consumption.
Reviews on the book have been widely receptive, with many readers acknowledging the volume as a necessary asset in understanding the ins-and-outs of the fast-growing hedge fund market.
If you’re looking to learn more about the hedge fund market, don’t beat around the hedge, take your hedge fund knowledge to the next-level with Investment Strategies of Hedge Funds.
Reviewed by: William Oscar Updyke